This briefing on the safe use of changing facilities (PDF) provides guidance on how to safeguard children and young people when they are using sports changing facilities, and includes recommended levels of adult supervision and examples of changing-room policies.
Author: NSPCC Child Protection in Sport Unit (CPSU)
- Existing national governing body, local authority or facility policies
- Type of facility
- Issues to consider and address
- Adults using the changing rooms at the same time as children
- Supervision in the changing facility may also be necessary when...
- Who should supervise?
- Parents as supervisors
- Unsupervised children in sport or leisure facilities
- What about mixed gender teams?
Changing facilities policies for the following organisations are provided as examples at the end of the briefing paper:
- England Cricket Board
- Amateur Swimming Association
For more information about unaccompanied children and other safeguarding issues relating to leisure centres, see our Sport and leisure facilities topic page.
We also have guidance on minimising the risks of mobile phones and cameras in changing rooms and showers and responding to concerns about photography.