This factsheet asks sports clubs and organisations to consider what additional safeguarding measures may be required when including a young athlete with additional vulnerabilities and support needs within their activities.
Our factsheet will help your sports club or organisation consider the following:
- what factors may increase the vulnerability of a disabled young athlete
- others peoples’ attitudes regarding disability
- the impact of isolation upon the disabled person and dependency on others
- communication issues
- how organisers can plan when involving a young athlete with additional vulnerability
For more on this subject, see our topic page on safeguarding deaf and disabled children.
More deaf and disabled athlete factsheets
- Anna’s story scenario
- Personal care responsibilities for disabled athletes
- Inclusive coaching
- Over protective parents
- Learning disabilities and intellectual impairments
- Safeguarding deaf and disabled children in sport resource factsheet
- Sport, disability and vulnerability factsheet