In these short videos, young people talk about the support they've received from their parents to get involved in sport. They also offer some key messages to parents about the kind of support they can offer.
What children and young people want some parents to change
- sometimes parents put pressure on children and young people to get involved or achieve
- don't force young people to do something they don't want to
- try to encourage children to believe they can achieve in sport
- let children have fun and enjoy sport
What parents' support means to children and young people
- parents are vital to youth sport as they influence young people to get involved and achieve
- parents enable youth sport to happen by arranging travel and encouraging young people to participate
- parents can inspire children to develop and push the boundaries of their ability
- Positive sports parents – supporting talented young athletes
- Positive sports parents – videos for parents
Resources for parents
Our Information for parents pages includes advice on how to best support your child in sport.
For more on this subject, see our Parents in sport topic pages for guidance on promoting positive parental behaviour.