This factsheet provides guidance and support for sports clubs and organisations to work with disabled athletes’ parents, to ensure that the young person can continue to participate fully in the clubs activities.
A scenario and discussion points provide useful guidance for your organisation to think about and action in your own setting.
Here are some topics for your organisation to consider:
- should the coach and club welfare officer be concerned about the athletes welfare
- in what ways may over protective behaviour impact on the athlete
- why may the athlete’s parent behave like this towards them
- what could the coach or club welfare officer do to address these concerns
For more on this subject, see our topic page on safeguarding deaf and disabled children.
More deaf and disabled athlete factsheets
- Additional vulnerability and support planning
- Anna’s story scenario
- Personal care responsibilities for disabled athletes
- Inclusive coaching
- Learning disabilities and intellectual impairments
- Safeguarding deaf and disabled children in sport resource factsheet
- Sport, disability and vulnerability factsheet