A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree (please read the information on how to control and manage cookies on your device below). Cookies contain information that is transferred to your device or computer's hard drive.
We use the following types of cookies on the NSPCC Child Protection in Sport Unit (CPSU) website:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical or performance cookies. These allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functional cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Audio cookies. These are cookies that are used to enable users to access and listen to podcasts on our website. They are used in order to play the podcasts and to support the management of them.
- Targeting cookies. These are cookies that are used to enable end users to access and view third-party feeds and videos on our website. They allow us to embed feeds and video content into our webpages for you to view.
You can find more information about the individual cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them below:
Strictly necessary cookies
• Used by the .NET framework to identify the same session across postbacks.
• This cookie is set by the cookie compliance solution from OneTrust. It stores information about the categories of cookies the site uses and whether visitors have given or withdrawn consent for the use of each category. This enables site owners to prevent cookies in each category from being set in the users browser, when consent is not given.
• This cookie is set by websites using certain versions of the cookie law compliance solution from OneTrust. It is set after visitors have seen a cookie information notice and in some cases only when they actively close the notice down. It enables the website not to show the message more than once to a user.
• This cookie is essential for the operation of our website and is used to verify a visitor’s identity in order to prevent fraud.
UMB-XSRF-TOKEN, UMB-XSRF-V, UMB_UCONTEXT
• These cookies are anti-forgery tokens to prevent cross-site request forgery (CSRF) on some of our forms. They guarantee that the poster is the one who gets the form
• Used by the Contour form module (such as the form on the Contact us page) to save status for displaying forms, for example if the form has several steps or can be hidden.
Analytics and performance cookies
_ga, _gid, __utma, __utmb, __utmc, __utmv, __utmz
• Used by Google Analytics to provide the site owner with analysis of who uses the site, what they are looking for and other information. This allows the site owner to know what people are searching for. This information can be used in the future to improve the site content.
• If you do not wish to accept cookies from any one of our emails, simply close the email before downloading any images or clicking on any links. You can also set your browser to restrict cookies or to reject them entirely. These settings will apply to all cookies whether included on websites or in emails.
• In some instances, depending on your email or browser settings, cookies in an email may be automatically accepted (for example, when you've added an email address to your address book or safe senders list). Please refer to your email browser or device instructions for more information on this.
• These are third-party cookies that are set when you open our emails and is not set from our website, so not managed through our cookie management tool.
• Records if a visitor has seen and responded to a SurveyMonkey popup window inviting them to take a survey, so they are not presented with it again in future.
• We use Audioboom’s embeddable player for playing our podcasts. These cookies are used by Audioboom to play the podcasts and to support management of the site, and for analytics.
• These cookies are used by Twitter to display the CPSU Twitter feed on our website, for any interactions you have with the widget, and/or if you use the Twitter share button (see also below).
• This domain is owned by Doubleclick (Google). The main business activity is: Doubleclick is Google's real-time bidding advertising exchange.
• This domain is owned by Vimeo. The main business activity is: video hosting and sharing.
VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE, YSC, GPS
• We use YouTube to display some of our videos, embedding the content into our websites. Access to these videos is subject to YouTube’s terms and conditions.
• You can also opt out of all YouTube watch activity on the YouTube website
We use the following third-party cookies:
- Google Analytics
Controlling cookies generally
You can manage the use of non-strictly necessary cookies, including third-party cookies, through our cookie management tool. Click on the Manage cookies link at the very bottom of this page (or any page on our website) to activate this pop-up tool.
Most internet browsers automatically accept cookies unless you change your browser settings. If you wish to restrict, block or delete the cookies which are set by any websites, you can generally do this through your browser settings. These settings are usually found in the 'options' or 'preferences' menu of your internet browser.
Please note however that if you set your internet browser preferences to block all cookies, you may not be able to access all or parts of our website.
To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit aboutcookies.org.uk.