In this webinar, Liza Ware, CPSU Senior Consultant, explores what Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) are and the effects they have on the developing brain.
Liza also talks about what role sport can play in helping to overcome toxic stress and trauma in children and how ACEs can impact a child's participation in sport compared with peers.
Correction: 17,000 people took part in the CDC-Kaiser Permanente Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) study, not 1,700 as stated in the webinar.
Further information and resources
- We can prevent ACEs – video from ACEs Connection
- Center on the Developing Child – Harvard University
- iCoachKids – project funded by the Erasmus+ programme
- How childhood trauma affects health across a lifetime – TED talks
- Adverse Childhood Experiences – video from NHS Health Scotland