This factsheet outlines the labels and misconceptions surrounding deaf and disabled young people.
The factsheet provides guidance for sports clubs or organisations regarding how to have a person-centred approach to disability, which focuses on the unique strengths and abilities of each individual, whilst acknowledging the particular support needs arising from their impairment or health condition.
Here are some topics for your organistion to consider:
- what are the barriers or challenges from wider society, organisations and individuals
- how to react and respond to such barriers or challenges
- types of impairments
- the challenges to participation for deaf and disabled children and young people
- the additional vulnerability of deaf and disabled children and young people
- why deaf and disabled children may be especially vulnerable to abuse
For more on this subject, see our topic page on safeguarding deaf and disabled children.